Saturday, January 1, 2011

01.03. January 1, 2011

Wowzas.

Here I am. Montréal. So far SO good! I arrived on the 30th and picked up my bags and boxes (8 boxes, a 90 pound suitcase plus carry-on) with Nicolas and his father Serge. Arrived at the apartment and hauled everything up the spiral staircase to our front door. (Okay...mostly Nicolas did it)
Anyway, left everything a bit fat mess and immediately made some coffee and pulled out my bag of hemp granola and sat around with Jeanne and Nicolas. I tried to sleep but was completely abuzz and ended up sticking it through.
Went out to a dinner party with Nico and Jeanne. Their friends have a gorgeous apartment several metro stops away and we all pitched in some money and they provided us with some fantastic eats. Raw salmon on a pancake, topped with sour cream and caramelized onions; flat bread pesto pizza with sun dried tomato. Seriously...lavish.
There was a fellow Anglophone (see Mum, sooooo Quebecoise) named Rosie from Australia. She actually lives with a Winnipegger too. I reflected for far too long that it was hovering around 0 degrees while Winnipeg suffered -35. baha!
Yesterday Nicolas worked and so I was responsible for my OWN WELL-BEING! :-o
I showered (and successfully flooded the bathroom...oops) and unpacked ALL my stuff (in retrospect, a bit stupid since I have to pack it all up for St Lucia), arranged my room and all my possessions. Then I hit the road! I live very close to the metro station so I headed there and took the metro all the way to downtown, at Peel station. I met up with an old friend named Ben who lives here now. We went for a drink in old montreal and chatted and caught up and chatted and caught up some more. It was so lovely - how nice to see a familiar face in a new city!
Met up with Nicolas at his work - it was his final day at his job and it coincided with a dinner, so we scored a free meal. A metro ride and rainy walk home and then we celebrated midnight by not celebrating it...we didn't even look at the clock until 12:07. Oops.
Watched the Breakfast Club and then headed to sleep. All in all a very positive first day. I was on my own for a bit of it, challenging myself to figure things out, navigating through a new city. I also walked so much and I realize how restricting Winnipeg is in terms of walking. I easily walked over two kilmoetres yesterday, which isn't that much, but is more walking than I've done in a long time.
Unfortunately, my boots let in all the rain and puddle water and now I have to go buy new boots.
I'm about to leave to go pick up Moses from the airport and then we'll have a French evening, full of wine and baguette and cheese.

I hope everyone had a fascinating New Year's Eve. My resolution is to not settle for less. This will take a lot of self-exploration but ultimately a very good thing for me.

A Bientot,

Katie

ps. Pictures of the apartment will come soon! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

of note:

24 (1) alive (1) alright (1) anger (1) Anniversary (1) anxiety (1) baking (1) beach (1) belief (1) best friend (1) books (1) break-through (1) broke (1) cappucinos (1) change (1) childhood (1) children (1) Christmas (2) clothes (2) cockfight (1) complaining (1) concerts (1) couchsurfing (1) ear (1) empty (1) enough (1) equinox (1) essays done (1) Family (4) Fancy (1) field trip (1) food (1) france (1) friday (1) Friends (3) Genocide (1) Gifts (1) gloom (1) goals (1) happy (1) heart (1) heroes of might and magic (1) Holidays (1) homeless (1) human rights (1) humility (1) hunger (1) international (1) internship (1) knives (1) lame (2) life (6) life lessons (1) lion (1) love (15) march (1) me (2) meltdown (1) mishaps (1) missing (2) modesty (1) Montreal (21) Moses (2) muffins (1) Mum (1) music (1) narcissism (3) new (1) New habit (1) Nicoisms (3) Nicolas (4) no shame (1) nostalgia (2) nostress (1) okay (1) on the up and up (1) ouch (1) pain (1) Party (1) passion (1) photography (17) reflection (1) romanticism (1) Rwanda (1) sad (1) self (6) shame (1) sick (1) single (1) snow (2) sorry for self (1) spring? (1) St Lucia (1) summer (1) sun (1) surprise (1) terrible (1) tomorrow might be better (1) travel (1) uganda (6) unimpressed (1) universe (1) upsettedness (1) vanity (1) visits (1) wants (1) weather (1) wine (2) Winnipeg (2) world (1)