Friday, January 21, 2011

01.05 January 21, 2011

Sorry I've been quiet for a few days!
Started the internship this week and it's so great. I share an office with a guy named Rob, with whom I talk humanitarianism, politics, media relations, genocide, sustainable development and several other not-so-intense topics.


I have no idea what our age difference is...as I told him I don't know if he's 24 or 46, but he said closer to the latter. Anyway, we share an office on the 4th floor of the Jewish Archives Building. I have my own computer and desk and have been starting the preliminary stages of organizing a conference on the Will to Intervene Project; an off-shoot of the Responsibility to Protect Doctrine...
If you are interested in learning about them, I recommend checking out migs.concordia.ca and clicking on the W2I Link.

I have been hanging out a lot with a fellow Winnipeger, Ben, and he's letting me be a tourist here which is nice! There's still so much to learn though and I had a semi-break down last night when it took me two and a half hours to complete a drive that should have taken only 54 minutes. I realized that EVERYTHING has changed - from doing my laundry at the laundromat to grocery shopping at small local stores instead of big chains, to not having a car, to being a linguistic minority, to facing difficulties finding a job....the whole shebang.
Needless to say, I was pretty frustrated. I feel better today though. I'll be doing homework for my US History class (my prof is a riot to watch...he sits in a big leather armchair, and turns the TV screen on to Fire Place so that the lecture feels more like a Christmas Eve discussion rather than a class.
However, I've never had to talk about Roosevelt or the New Deal on x-mas, and I don't much feel like doing it now.

Hmmm what else...I'm still settling in. I'm hoping to hear from some Winnipeg friends and/or family about coming to visit...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Well I'm going to get back to the fireplace. Today is a bit chilly but I'm in the countryside and when I'm not doing homework I think I'll go for a country drive.
Also, for breakfast, I had sliced banana, grapes, Camembert cheese and coffee.
I was meant for rural Quebec.

How is everyone else's January treating them? I relish in the headlines that Winnipeg is in a deep freeze...so how are you all surviving/coping with it?

Much love,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

of note:

24 (1) alive (1) alright (1) anger (1) Anniversary (1) anxiety (1) baking (1) beach (1) belief (1) best friend (1) books (1) break-through (1) broke (1) cappucinos (1) change (1) childhood (1) children (1) Christmas (2) clothes (2) cockfight (1) complaining (1) concerts (1) couchsurfing (1) ear (1) empty (1) enough (1) equinox (1) essays done (1) Family (4) Fancy (1) field trip (1) food (1) france (1) friday (1) Friends (3) Genocide (1) Gifts (1) gloom (1) goals (1) happy (1) heart (1) heroes of might and magic (1) Holidays (1) homeless (1) human rights (1) humility (1) hunger (1) international (1) internship (1) knives (1) lame (2) life (6) life lessons (1) lion (1) love (15) march (1) me (2) meltdown (1) mishaps (1) missing (2) modesty (1) Montreal (21) Moses (2) muffins (1) Mum (1) music (1) narcissism (3) new (1) New habit (1) Nicoisms (3) Nicolas (4) no shame (1) nostalgia (2) nostress (1) okay (1) on the up and up (1) ouch (1) pain (1) Party (1) passion (1) photography (17) reflection (1) romanticism (1) Rwanda (1) sad (1) self (6) shame (1) sick (1) single (1) snow (2) sorry for self (1) spring? (1) St Lucia (1) summer (1) sun (1) surprise (1) terrible (1) tomorrow might be better (1) travel (1) uganda (6) unimpressed (1) universe (1) upsettedness (1) vanity (1) visits (1) wants (1) weather (1) wine (2) Winnipeg (2) world (1)