Wednesday, March 9, 2011

01.20. March 8, 2011

I'm having a crisis  issue.
But I think I fixed it.

I thought I would "clean house" - in terms of my camera's memory card of course - since I have photos on there from last May. However, I deleted photos that I thought I had already transferred. Alas...

BUT. I'm pretty sure I am okay with it. That's such a lie. I immediately downloaded questionable software that promises me the world. I think that's the best way to go about such a potential-nostalgic crisis.

So as I (obscurely) mentioned, I randomly visited Winnipeg this past weekend. There were certain situations that really needed tending to (in my heart, soul, body, and mind). I'm really thrilled to have fit in at least some time with my dearest friends, though I know I am really disappointed already about missing out on certain coffee & wine dates.

I luckily saw my family and old room mates, my best friends, and even had time to meet some new people as well. I didn't "go out" so much, but I did end up with:
-a new phone. I brought my ex-roommate (sad) with me to the store to talk me out of anything stupid, and he gave me the OK to go ahead and upgrade/purchase. My cell phone, whether I want to admit it or not (but I think I do) is a necessary investment. If I'm tracking lives in Winnipeg, working in Montreal and keeping up with instantaneous developments in Uganda, it's necessary. Not only that but I feel glamourous! I wore all black on the plane ride today and felt more cosmopolitan than gothic. This, I feel, is a definite step forward in most aspects of my fashion sense.
-two new dresses. Look, I know I do the whole dress-thing too often, but this was different. It was floral printed. Now do you understand!?
-a terrible headache Saturday, but that hardly needs elaborating on.
-a date with my Mum and brother at Rae & Jerry's. Notedly, even though we all arrived separately, apprently we all had the same reaction arriving there: fits of giggles. Don't know why? www.raeandjerrys.com
geez.
-a kidnapping of my grandmother from her office downtown with my Mum. It reminded me an awful lot of being a little kid and going out with the feminine generations. We went to The Grove, my past locale, and saw an old family friend. He bought me a drink which I "had to finish with him so Granny doesn't see it" and then later sent a nice Sauvignon Blanc to our table. The result? A 23, 50-something and 80-something year old all a bit tipsy at 2 in the afternoon on a Monday. Unexpecetedly this was the last time I saw my Mum and we didn't have a proper goodbye.  (Instead she was grumbled at early this morning when she called to say goodbye. Sorry Mum)
-a lovely brunch at Fresh Café. I have to give this place more credit - I really do love the ambience (somehow it wasn't packed on a Sunday) and their food is quite good, though I'm still on the hunt for the perfect Eggs Benedict. Suggestions? So my step mother and I enjoyed a thorough catch-up while sipping on a near-perfect cappucino. The service was something to balk at, but although I dress glamorously, I don't think I've earned the rights to scoff at waitresses my age....yet.

There's more I could go on about, and I wish I had pictures to accompany all the fun I had (including singing Happy Birthday a full two octaves higher than its usual pitch, and being introduced to great new music until the wee hours of Saturday morning, while also listening to some old favourites...)
Parentheses are a procrastinator's best friend. I'm not in a rush to leave either - from the airport I had to take a taxi directly to work, catch up on 5 days of missed stuff, and then take the metro home in the rushiest rush hour. When I came home, I ate pizza and immediately fell asleep for 4 hours. Oops. So I doubt that I'll be nodding off anytime soon.

I also took the time to decide about where my desires lie and I already know I'll end up being torn with what to do in terms of city to live in starting next September. Luckily I don't have to think about that for a little bit still.
Speaking of school and September, Nicolas found out today that he was in fact accepted to Concordia's Translation Masters Program!!! He was a shoe-in, in my opinion, but still it's exciting.

If I retrieve any photos from my card mishap I will immediately put all 4300 of them up on the blog. Or at least my computer.
Friends & Family: Thank you for making this such a wonderful visit home. Your turn!

Following: some of the people i was able&ecstatic to see. <3






á bientôt!

katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

of note:

24 (1) alive (1) alright (1) anger (1) Anniversary (1) anxiety (1) baking (1) beach (1) belief (1) best friend (1) books (1) break-through (1) broke (1) cappucinos (1) change (1) childhood (1) children (1) Christmas (2) clothes (2) cockfight (1) complaining (1) concerts (1) couchsurfing (1) ear (1) empty (1) enough (1) equinox (1) essays done (1) Family (4) Fancy (1) field trip (1) food (1) france (1) friday (1) Friends (3) Genocide (1) Gifts (1) gloom (1) goals (1) happy (1) heart (1) heroes of might and magic (1) Holidays (1) homeless (1) human rights (1) humility (1) hunger (1) international (1) internship (1) knives (1) lame (2) life (6) life lessons (1) lion (1) love (15) march (1) me (2) meltdown (1) mishaps (1) missing (2) modesty (1) Montreal (21) Moses (2) muffins (1) Mum (1) music (1) narcissism (3) new (1) New habit (1) Nicoisms (3) Nicolas (4) no shame (1) nostalgia (2) nostress (1) okay (1) on the up and up (1) ouch (1) pain (1) Party (1) passion (1) photography (17) reflection (1) romanticism (1) Rwanda (1) sad (1) self (6) shame (1) sick (1) single (1) snow (2) sorry for self (1) spring? (1) St Lucia (1) summer (1) sun (1) surprise (1) terrible (1) tomorrow might be better (1) travel (1) uganda (6) unimpressed (1) universe (1) upsettedness (1) vanity (1) visits (1) wants (1) weather (1) wine (2) Winnipeg (2) world (1)